Thursday, February 28, 2013

SWOON Thursday (#38): Wounded by Jasinda Wilder

 Hosted by YA Bound

From the book you’re currently reading, or one you just finished, tell us what made you SWOON. What got your heart pounding, your skin tingling, and your stomach fluttering. Shout it out on Twitter with the hashtag #YABound, post it here in the comments, or grab the adorable button above and share it on your blog! We want to know :-)

Here's mine:

Hunter takes my hand in his, rubs a knuckle with his thumb. "Do you know what's happening?"

I shrug. "I think yes. I cannot stay. I am not American, not worker, not translator. So I go."

Hunter frowns, brow wrinkling. "No, Rania. I mean, yes. You can't stay since you're not...well, they want you to go back to...to go back. But there's a way you can stay."

I glance up at him. Hope hits me like pain. I do not want to hope, but it is hard no to. "What way is this? You will not send me away?"

He pulls me down to perch on the edge of the bed, wraps his arm around my waist. "No, Rania. No. You can stay if you marry me. Come back to the States with me."

Shock rocks me. "Marry?" I am not sure I heard him right. I switch to Arabic. "Be your wife?"

He nods. "I...don't have a ring," he says in English. "But...I'll give you one, as soon as I can. It's not just a way for you to stay, though. It's what--I want you to be mine."

I shake my head, disbelieving. "You...you want me, always? I have nothing. No one. If you take me to America and then do not love me, where will I go? Back to whoring?"

Hunter touches my cheek, kisses my chin. "I will always love you. You saved me, Rania."

I shake my head. "No, you have saved me."

"We saved each other, then," he says. I smile my agreement. "So you'll marry me?" he asks.

"Yes," I say, shedding a tear. "Yes. I will."
-Wounded SWOON #YABound

No comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...