Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Title: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary Fiction
Publisher: Poppy Books, Hachette Book Group
Format: Hardcover, 236 Pages
ISBN: 978-0-316-12238-2
Release Date: January 2, 2012
Source: Borrowed from Wentworth Library
Rating: 5/5

Tagline(s): Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Summary: Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.

A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?

Quirks of timing play out in this romantic and cinematic novel about family connections, second chances, and first loves. Set over a twenty-four-hour period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

Review:

I fell in love with The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight...at first sight. When I heard about this book I was curious. I don't usually read a lot of contemporary romance novels and it takes a lot for me to really like them. But when I saw the cover of Statistical Probability, when I read the synopsis, I just knew I was going to love this book. And Jennifer E. Smith did not disappoint me.

Aside from the romance, what I really liked was all the small things; all the tiny coincidental things that had to happen to bring Hadley and Oliver together. Some are obvious and some you could totally miss of you're not paying attention. What would have happened if it weren't for those first four minutes? If there wasn't a nice old lady in their row that gave her seat to Oliver? And let's not forget their little buzzing friend from the plane. All of these small events are what bring, not only Hadley and Olive together, but the story as well.

The romance is so sweet. I found Hadley and Oliver so completely adorable and I really wished the book has been longer so I could read more about them. Their love isn't, BAM! I love you, forever. It's slow and steady. They talk for hours on the plane and get to know each other and, in the end, even help each other cope with family issues. I love when the characters don't fall in love instantaneously. It's more believable when it happens at a believable pace.

I want more! I loved the characters and story so much and I want to know what happens after the first meeting; after the first 24 hours. What happens when they return to Connecticut? Do Hadley and Oliver last or was it just for that moment? I sincerely hope that the author at least considers continuing Hadley and Oliver's story--even a short story or novella would do. I just want more.

Quote: "When you're on the other side of it, fifty-two years can seem like fifty-two minutes. Just like when you're young and in love, a seven-hour plane ride can seem like a lifetime."
- Chapter 4, Page 48

Book Trailers:

Meet Hadley



 Meet Oliver



About this Author:

Jennifer E. Smith is the author of the three young adult novels: The Comeback Season, You Are Here, and The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. She earned her master's degree in creative writing from the University of St. Andrews in Scotland, and currently works as an editor in New York City.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...