Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Author Spotlight: Karen Duvall, author of Darkest Knight



About Me


Where to start… Bios are always difficult for me. I don't want to say too much and bore people, or not enough, which is almost as boring.

I was born in Hollywood, California. Sound glamorous? Maybe it might have turned out that way if my mother hadn't given me up for adoption. Or that's what I used to fantasize about when I was a child. Nevertheless, I was very fortunate to have had the best adoptive parents in the world. If you're curious to read more about this part of my life story, I wrote about it for my blog. http://karenduvall.blogspot.com/2012/01/lets-get-personal.html and http://karenduvall.blogspot.com/2012/01/secrets-revealed-and-secrets-kept.html

I've always been a writer, even before I knew how to make my letters. At the age of three, I used to tell stories to my mom so she could write them down and I could draw the pictures. I still draw pictures, however I've replaced the crayons in favor of computer graphics. I've been a professional graphic artist for over thirty years after graduating from the Art Institute of Colorado in 1978.

I started out writing short stories because the thought of writing a book was too intimidating. Then I read an amazing series by Armistead Maupin and was so intrigued by his excellent characters that I knew I had to give it a try. After that, I was hooked. Writing books became my thing.

I joined Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers http://www.rmfw.org about 20 years ago, and that's how I learned how to write. I owe this amazing organization so much! Such a fabulous group of warm, helpful and supportive writers. I feel blessed to have discovered them and highly recommend their annual conference to any writer serious about becoming a published author. It's an amazing event attended by some of the best agents and editors in the industry. Even though I don't live in Colorado anymore, I return for the conference every year.

Now I live in Bend, Oregon, with my husband Jim, an over-zealous border-bully dog named Kinsey, and three spoiled cats that run our household. When I'm not writing, I freelance as a graphic designer. If you'd like to see some of my work, please visit my design website. http://www.duvalldesign.wordpress.com


 Writing Awards
 
2008 PASIC (Published Authors Special Interest Chapter of RWA) – KNIGHT'S CURSE, 2nd Place

2009 Romance Through the Ages (Hearts Through History Chapter of RWA) – MYSTIC TAXI, 1st Place

2012 Reveal Your Inner Vixen Contest (Maryland Romance Writers) – MIRROR READER, 2nd Place

2012 Suzannah Contest (NOLA Stars Chapter of RWA) – MIRROR READER, Finalist http://nolastars.com/contest/ (winner to be announced in March 2013)


Contact Links

Twitter: @KarenDuvall 


Books & Buy Links 

Amazon
B&N
Amazon
B&N
Amazon
B&N

No comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...